As in previous years, we have compiled a quiz concerning events in law and religion during 2017, many of which have featured in our posts. Answers will be published on Saturday, 13 January 2018.
1. Suggest a possible meaning for 20 + C + M + B + 18?
2. Where in the Cotswolds might you find the “Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria?
3. What links the following: signposts in Kent; a dahlia; geese of ill-repute?
4. What do the following parliamentarians have in common: Lord Dobbs; Caroline Flint; Lord Hariss of Harringay?
5. Connect: a song in Elvish, Robert Baden-Powell, and an Anglican Metropolitan.
6. Which Church Commissioner saved a shark and when?
7. Which was the first marriage to be granted the consent of the monarch under the Royal Marriages Act 1772 in which one of the parties was divorced with prior spouse still living? [With thanks to Daniel Hill].
8. What links the following to the Cardiff LLM in Canon Law? Oscar Wilde, Lewis Gielgud, Lord Denning, T. E. Lawrence, Niall Ferguson, Kenneth Tynan, George Osborne?
9. What is “like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say”.
10. What is the connection between lobsters and crimson string?
11. In what arena might you find both a tug of war and table tennis played?
12. Leporello’s “Catalogue Aria” commenced “In Italia seicento e quaranta ; In Alemagna duecento e trentuna , but where might one find 629, 267, as well as 512, 308, 27, 14, 7, 5, and 12,220?
13. Which relic is likely to have collected the most “Air Miles” in 2017.
14. Which Archbishop lead ordinands from gates of hell?
15. What have Theresa May and Kenneth Baker in common, (apart from both being former Home Secretaries)?
16. Which Anglican theologian is quoted Dan Brown’s Da Vinci Code?
17. What have the following in common: a Buddhist monk; F.C.s; B.B.s; S.L.s; O.Q.s; D.L.s.?
18. Who was the last MP hostage to be taken hostage and detained at Buckingham Palace?
19. What links Bl. Dominic Barberi, an Italian theologian and a member of the Passionist Congregation, and Eric Treacy, former Bishop of Wakefield?
20. What do the following letters have in common: A, B, E, H, K, M, O, P, T, X, Y?
21. Where, and under what circumstances does M=AB and N=CD?
22. What two words were disallowed on marriage registration forms in England and wales from December 2005? [With thanks to Michael Ainsworth]
23. What links this somewhat eclectic, group of people? Mick Jagger; Grace Kelly; Bonnie & Clyde; John Lennon; Marvin Gaye; The Blessed Virgin Mary; Yoko Ono; Geno Washington; Chico Slimani; Jesus Christ; Grace Kelly; The Empress Josephine; Frank Sinatra; Charles Lewis Tiffany; John Denver’s wife; A dead Liverpudlian woman. [With thanks to Fergus Butler-Gallie]
24. What links the following: Blue Rod; Purple Rod; Black Rod; and Gold stick?
25. Who said “”We should not ask people to vote on a blank sheet of paper, and tell them to trust us to fill in the details afterwards…”?
26. If some church buildings are described as “high” and others “low”, how many are “flat”?
27. Who equated what to “cleaning the Sphinx with a toothbrush”?
Pingback: Boxing Day Quiz – 2017: The Answers | Law & Religion UK