This is the first of our weekly updates on the legislation and guidance on coronavirus COVID-19; it is intended as a quick reference to the latest developments, and new items will be added throughout each week at the same time as they are included in COVID-19 Coronavirus: legislation and guidance (II) which includes links to other weekly updates.
Sunday 26 July to Saturday 1 August
Law and Religion UK
- 200731 – Face-coverings in places of worship: update. Face coverings mandatory in places of worship from 8 August, and withdrawal of guidance which permitted indoor professional performances, with immediate effect.
- 200731 – Coronavirus COVID:19 – NW England restrictions, changes to rules on gatherings in Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire and East Lancashire after increase in COVID-19 cases.
- 200727 – Coronavirus and ecclesiastical law – I, the legislation and regulations in relation to time constraints imposed by ecclesiastical provisions.
- 200727 – Government COVID-19 guidance for England: special religious services and gatherings checklist update to COVID-19: guidance for the safe use of places of worship and special religious services and gatherings during the pandemic which deals specifically with special religious services and gatherings.
- 200726 – Law and religion round-up – 26th July, Face-covering in England, Face-covering in places of worship, Blackburn with Darwen, and Luton, Matt (Hancock) 6:3, Faith school admissions.
Church of England
Advice last updated on Friday 31 July at 15:35, when it stated:
“The Prime Minister has outlined plans to make face coverings mandatory in Places of Worship from 8th August and has withdrawn guidance to permit indoor professional performances with immediate effect. We will study detailed government regulations and guidance once they are available and will update our guidance accordingly.
“In the meantime, we continue to strongly advise that face coverings should be worn by all those attending a place of worship, including ministers, worshippers, staff, volunteers, contractors and visitors, where there may be other people present; remembering that they are mainly intended to protect other people, not the wearer, from coronavirus (COVID-19) and that they are not a replacement for physical distancing and regular hand washing”.
This week’s FAQs include (scroll down):
- New FAQ Should we wear a visor for presiding and preaching? in Prayer and worship section (27 July)
- New FAQ What can we do about our annual parish meetings? in Finance and governance section (27 July).
- New FAQ What are the first steps to take is be believe there has been a local breakout? (31 July).
- Updated FAQ What guidance is in place for clergy, church workers and volunteers who are deemed to be at additional risk? in General section
- Updated Document Personal Risk Factors for Clergy, Church Workers and Volunteers.
Other churches and faith organizations
- Baptist Union: Coronavirus: Guidance on re-opening Baptist church buildings, (updated 27 July).
- Catholic Church in England and Wales: Bishops clarify the Catholic position on vaccination, (30 July).
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Blackburn with Darwen and Bradford) Regulations 2020 SI 2020/822, Coming into forces 1st August.
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (No. 2) (Wales) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2020, WSI 803 (W176). Comes into force on 25 July (Regs 2 and 4) and 27 July 2020 (Reg 3).
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Leicester) (Amendment) (No. 3) Regulations 2020, SI 2020/823 made, 31 July, Comes into force 1 August; laid before Parliament, 3 August.
Guidance and other relevant information
- Prime Minister’s statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 31 July 2020, wedding receptions of up to 30 people will not be permitted, but ceremonies can continue to take place, in line with COVID-Secure guidelines; requirement to wear a face covering to other indoor settings including places of worship to become enforceable in law from 8 August (31 July).
- North West of England: local restrictions – what you can and cannot do, (31 July). changes to rules on gatherings in Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire and East Lancashire after increase in COVID-19 cases.
- Plans for managing the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in Leicester, Oral statement to Parliament, Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock, (29 July).
- COVID-19: guidance for the safe use of places of worship during the pandemic, MHCLG, (27 July)
- Special religious services and gatherings COVID-19 checklist, MHCLG, (27 July).
- Government’s approach to managing local coronavirus outbreaks, Department of Health and Social Care, (27 July). An overview of the government’s approach to managing local coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreaks.
- Local restrictions: areas with an outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19), Department of Health and Social Care, (27 July). A list of areas with additional local restrictions. Includes information for local authorities, residents and workers about what to do and how to manage the outbreak.
- Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can’t do, Cabinet Office, (27 July).
- COVID-19 – early outbreak management: Places of Worship, PHE, (24 July), See new CofE FAQ What are the first steps to take is be believe there has been a local breakout? (31 July)
Information from other relevant bodies
- Historic England: Culture Recovery Fund for Heritage. Open for applications W/C 27 July 2020, deadline for applications midday 17 August 2020.
- Hansard Society: Are the Coronavirus-related Statutory Instruments complying with the convention about parliamentary scrutiny time?
Post last updated, 16:37, 1st August 2020.