This is a weekly update on the legislation and guidance on coronavirus COVID-19 up to 15 August; it is intended as a quick reference to the latest developments, and new items will be added throughout each week at the same time as they are included in COVID-19 Coronavirus: legislation and guidance (II) which has links to other weekly updates.
Sunday 9 August to Saturday 15 August
Law and Religion UK
- COVID-19 – Changes to Church of England guidance finalized, ten items of guidance updated, (10 August)
- Law and religion round-up – 9th August, Wearing face coverings from 8 August, in England and Scotland; Church of England General Synod.
- Coronavirus-related legislation: Cytûn’s briefing for churches in Wales, briefing by The Revd Gethin Rhys, Policy Officer of Cytûn/Churches together in Wales, cross-posted with permission on latest changes to legislation, (13 August).
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020 (Commencement) Order (Northern Ireland) 2020 SR 2020/169 (C. 4)
- SI 2020/863 – The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 2) (England) (Amendment) (No. 3) Regulations 2020
- SI 2020/865 – The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions on Gatherings) (North of England) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2020.
- SSI 2020/241 – The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 11) Regulations 2020
- COVID-19: guidance for the safe use of places of worship during the pandemic, MHCLG (updated 14 August).
- COVID-19: Guidance for small marriages and civil partnerships, MHCLG (updated 13 August).
- COVID-19: Guidance for wedding and civil partnership receptions and celebrations, MHCLG (updated 13 August).
- Face coverings: when to wear one and how to make your own, DHSC, updated 13 August).
- Working safely during coronavirus (COVID-19), BEIS, (13 August).
Church of England
- Church of England advice was last updated on 12 August at 15:49 with updated FAQs Can a visor be worn in a place of worship? [“We are not offering advice about visors as the Government advice specifically covers the use of face coverings and does not refer to visors. “] and Is there advice on how to collect NHS Test and Trace data? [Yes, q.v.]. Also a new FQ Can churches, halls and other buildings hold non-worship events? which directs the reader to the MHCLG’s guidance for the safe use of multi-purpose community facilities.
- Following government advice on face coverings there have been the following updates to guidance:
- Draft General Synod (Remote Meetings) Measure: Suggested modifications received by 5.30pm on Friday 28 August to be considered. Final draft (or confirmation that the draft of 30 July is unchanged) to be circulated to members on or before 9 September, after which any amendments will need to be submitted in the normal way, and by the previously advised deadline of 5.30pm on Friday 18 September.
- Updates, Friday 14 August at 14:00: [i] Following updates to the Government’s Performing Arts Guidance made on 13 August we are awaiting changes to the Places of Worship Guidance to reflect this, particularly in relation to choirs singing. Once this guidance is published, we will update our advice as soon as possible; [ii] Updated FAQ Can we have worship outside? in Prayer and Worship section.
- The legality of the use of individual cups for communion wine, Legal Opinion Stephen Hofmeyr QC & ors, 12 August.
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020 (Commencement) Order (Northern Ireland) 2020 SR 2020/169 (C. 4).
- Church of Scotland: COVID-19 (Coronavirus) advice, (updated 14 August)
- MHCLG: COVID-19: guidance for the safe use of places of worship during the pandemic, (updated 14 August).
- Scottish Episcopal Church: Face Coverings Mandated for Places for Worship, August 7, 2020. Advisory Group will revise and reissue its Phase 3 guidance in the light of this announcement.
- Scottish Government: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Phase 3: guidance for the safe use of places of worship, 8 August.
- Welsh Government: Guidance to local authorities, approved premises and places of worship on marriages and civil partnerships: coronavirus: Singing, chanting and the use of musical instruments. 6 August.
- Presbyterian Church of Wales, The General Assembly Board: Preparing to worship together in our buildings, (6 August).
Post last updated 14 August, 18:41.
Cite this article as: David Pocklington, "New COVID-19 legislation and guidance: to 15 August" in Law & Religion UK, 9 August 2020, https://lawandreligionuk.com/2020/08/09/new-covid-19-legislation-and-guidance-to-15-august/