This is a weekly update on the legislation and guidance on coronavirus COVID-19 up to 7 November; it is intended as a quick reference to the latest developments. New items will be added throughout each week as they become available, and included in COVID-19 Coronavirus: legislation and guidance which is now the main source of information §. The updates for the earlier weeks are here.
Sunday 1st November to Saturday 7th November
Law and Religion UK
- Law and religion round-up – 8th November, Guidance, legislation, and how not to do it; Lockdown and places of worship; Reopening of places of worship in Wales; Charity Commission: updated guidance on COVID-19; Charity meetings in Wales, General Synod (Remote Meetings) Measure 2020; Church of England and Archbishops’ websites.
- Worship, funerals and weddings under the Second English Lockdown, 5 November. Guest post by Russell Sandberg.
- Services and Events on Remembrance Sunday in England, 4 November 2020.
- Communal worship and Remembrance Day in England: stop press, 2 November 2020.
- Communal Worship – Remembrance Day, England, Guidance from MHCLG, infra
- Law and religion round-up – 1st November National Restrictions from 5 November; Weddings, civil partnerships, religious services and funerals; EHRC; General Assembly of the Church of Scotland; ELS Virtual Conference – The Solemnization of Matrimony: past, present and future.
Church of England
Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for churches
- COVID-19 New Lockdown Guidance, v1. This guidance is written to support churches as they make decisions about steps they need to take as the new lockdown comes into force on the 5th November
- COVID-19 Livestreaming Worship, v.1
Risk Assessment Template for Opening Church Buildings to the Public During Lockdown, v6, 4 November. This update has been reviewed in the light of new guidance from the Health and Safety Executive and is intended for use during the period of national lockdown from 5th November. Risk assessments carried out using an earlier template may still be valid but should be reviewed regularly.
- Is there guidance on live streaming from church buildings? in the Prayer and worship section
Update, Friday 06 November at 13:05
- What youth and children’s activities can take place during the new national lockdown? in the Schools, nurseries and youth provision section
- Can we still hold a Remembrance Sunday service? in the Prayer and worship section
Update Thursday 05 November at 14:34
- Can the building still be used for a night shelter? in the Community Support section
Update, Tuesday 03 November at 14:12
Updated FAQs: Can we still hold a remembrance Sunday service? in the Prayer and worship section§
- A letter to clergy from Archbishops Justin Welby and Stephen Cottrell and the Bishop of London, Following the announcement of a second national lockdown, this Ad Clerum has been sent to clergy from the Archbishops and Bishop Sarah Mullally.
- Archbishops join interfaith call to PM to allow public worship, 3 October 2020.
- Letter to the Prime Minister from faith leaders, 3 October 2020.
Other churches and faith organizations
Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales
- Statement from the President and the Vice-President of the Conference on the Prime Minister’s Statement which questions the banning of communal worship and asks the Government to produce the evidence that justifies its decision, 31 October 2020.
- A pastoral statement on the proposed suspension of public worship from 5 November, Society of St Wilfrid and St Hilda, 2 November 2020.
- The Muslim Council of Britain calls for an urgent review of new lockdown restrictions on places of worship, Muslim Council of Britain, 1 November 2020.
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England)(No. 4) Regulations 2020, SI 2020/1200. These Regulations impose restrictions on the occasions on which a person can leave or be outside of the place where they are living and on gatherings. They also require the closure of a number of businesses, and impose restrictions on businesses. The restrictions will cease to have effect 28 days from the date on which these Regulations are made.
- Explanatory Memorandum to The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England)(No. 4) Regulations 2020, SI 2020/1200.
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (No. 4) (Wales)Regulations 2020, WSI 2020/1219 (W. 276). Post-Lockdown Regulations, coming into force on 9 November 2020 and must be reviewed by 19 November, at least once in the period from 20 November to 3 December, at least once in the period from 4 December to 17 December, and at least every 21 days after that. It also provides that unless the Regulations are revoked or amended before then, they expire on 19 February 2021.
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions and Requirements) (Local Levels) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2020, SSI 347. amend the Level 2 restrictions provided for in those Regulations, to remove amusement arcades in a Level 2 area from the requirement to close to the public.
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 2) (Amendment No. 12) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020, SR 2020/239. Regulation 3(1) provides for physical education to take place in schools and other educational
settings. Regulation 3(2) provides that tables or other facilities in an area adjacent to hospitality premises are to be treated as part of the premises.