This is the latest rolling weekly update covering the legislation and guidance on coronavirus COVID-19 during the week commencing 3 January 2021*.
Sunday 3 January 2021 to Saturday 9 January 2021
Law and Religion UK‡
- Suspending public worship – Northern Ireland, 7 January 2021.
- Suspending public worship – England. 7 January 2021.
- Bishop of London: new COVID-19 restrictions. Bishop Sarah’s response, plus extracts from government guidance. 4 January 2021.
- COVID-19: places of worship to close in mainland Scotland. 4 January 2021.
- Law and religion round-up – 3 January 2021. Places of worship during lockdown.
Church of England
COVID-19 Permitted Activities under national lockdown rules, V3.1. 7 January 2021.
- Can we host children’s group? [Under Community support]
- Can weddings go ahead? [Under Life Events].
Last updated: Wednesday 6 January at 16:20 Updated documents:
- COVID-19 Permitted Activities under national lockdown rules, v3
- COVID-19 Suspending public worship: some legal questions and
- What is permitted during lockdown? [Under FAQs].
- What do we need to do if we have decided to suspend public worship? [Under FAQs].
- Can churches be used as vaccination centres? [Under FAQs].
- Can funerals go ahead? [Under Life Events].
- Can weddings go ahead? [Under Life Events].
Read a response from the Bishop of London to the Prime Minister’s statement outlining new restrictions in England. The advice on this page will be reviewed in the coming days in line with Government guidance. We have streamlined the advice on this page, and will continue to review advice documents in light of Government guidance.§
Other churches and faith organizations
Statement from the Church of Ireland Bishops in Northern Ireland in relation to Public Worship, 7 January 2020. Suspension of public worship.
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No. 3) and (All Tiers) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2021, SI 2021/8. These Regulations amend the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 3) Regulations 2020 SI 2020/750 to clarify the powers of a police community support officer, and amend the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers) (England) Regulations 2020 SI 2020/1374 to strengthen the Tier 4 restrictions, and to apply those restrictions to every area in England. In addition, the expiry date for the Regulations is extended in each case.
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers) (England) Regulations 2020, Schedule 3A, Tier 4 restrictions. Consolidated version as at 6 January 2021.
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions and Requirements) (Local Levels) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 10) Regulations 2021, SSI 2021/1 and Policy Note.
Isle of Man
- Prime Minister’s statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 5 January 2021. Prime Minister’s Office, (5 January 2021).
- National lockdown: Stay at Home. Cabinet Office. What you can and cannot do. (published 4 January 2021, updated 5 January).
- Prime Minister’s address to the nation: 4 January 2021, Prime Minister’s Office, (4 January 2021).
[Note that guidance for individual tiers was withdrawn on 4 January].
- Guidance to local authorities and places of worship on solemnization of marriages the forming of civil partnerships and alternative wedding ceremonies. Welsh Government, Level 4 guidance to local authorities, approved premises and places of worship on the impact of the Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (No.5) (Wales) Regulations 2020 on solemnization of marriages and the forming of civil partnerships and related wedding ceremonies. (23 December 2020).
- Guidance on funerals: COVID 19. Welsh Government. Guidance on the impact of the Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (No.4) (Wales) Regulations 2020 on funerals. (23 December 2020).
Cytûn’s web page has been updated to take account of this new guidance – Welsh Government guidance regarding community centres has not yet been updated, but they can currently open only to provide essential voluntary services and public services. Further guidance on this is on the Cytûn website.
[With thanks Gethin Rhys for the update]
Other faith groups
- Muslim Council of Britain: MCB Urges Mosques to Re-Assess Safety Measures If They Choose to Remain Open. (4 January 2020).
Covid-19 resources for churches (6 January 2021).
Coronavirus advice and updates. The Bar Council is keeping the coronavirus situation under constant review. This information is updated regularly to reflect the most recent guidance for the Bar. (4 January 2021).
Post last updated, Friday 8 January 2021 at 19:22.
These updates are published at the start of each week; they are not reissued, but new items are added throughout the week as they become available, providing a “rolling update” of the latest developments during the current week. They are also added to COVID-19 Coronavirus: legislation and guidance which is the main source of information; those items in the weekly updates yet to be added are marked “§“. The updates for the earlier weeks are here.
For Church of England documents, the information on the document itself – date and version number – provides the best indication of the date on which it was issued