This is the latest rolling weekly update covering the legislation and guidance on coronavirus COVID-19 during the week commencing 24 January 2021 *.
Sunday 24 January to Saturday 30 January
Law and Religion UK
- Law and religion round-up – 24 January. Closing places of worship in Scotland; Opening places of worship in Scotland; Church of England services in Lent, Holy Week and Easter: 2021; Guernsey in lockdown; General Synod Meetings 2021, House of Bishops Meeting.
Church of England‡
New FAQ and document on services during Lent, Holy Week, and Easter.
Association of English Cathedrals (AEC)
Cathedral Closures Update: An update of cathedral closures January 2021.
Guernsey churches: details of online services during lockdown, 29 January 2021.
Other churches and faith organizations
Church in Wales
- COVID-19 Advice for Services during Lent, Holy Week, and Easter, V1. Issued by the Bench of Bishops of the Church in Wales, Version 1 26 January 2021 (Alert Level Four). “The guidelines…are based on the advice issued by the Church of England’s COVID-19 Recovery Group, supra, with amendment to the particular context in which the Church in Wales operates”.
Scottish Episcopal Church
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers and Self-Isolation) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2021, SI 2021/97. Also Explanatory Memorandum. Comes into force at 5.00 p.m. on 29th January 2021. Regulation 4(4) amends regulation of the Self-Isolation Regulations, and sets out the power to use and disclose “relevant information”.
- E (Vaccine)  EWCOP 7 (20 January 2021) Court of Protection held that a woman in her 80s living in care home, who does not have mental capacity to decide, should receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Her son objected on grounds of his scepticism about its efficacy.
- Hansard Society: Coronavirus Statutory Instruments Dashboard. The Dashboard highlights key facts and figures about the Statutory Instruments being produced using these powers in the Coronavirus Act 2020 and other Acts of Parliament.(28 January 2021).
“When I announced the lockdown I said we would review its measures in mid-February, once the most vulnerable had been offered the first dose of the vaccine. So I can tell the House that when Parliament returns from Recess in the week commencing 22nd February subject to the full agreement of the House, Mr Speaker, we intend to set out the results of that review and publish our plan for taking the country out of lockdown. That plan will, of course, depend on the continued success of our vaccination programme, the capacity of the NHS, and on deaths falling at the pace we would expect as more people are inoculated.”
- Ecclesiastical Insurance: COVID-19 and your Church Insurance policy, 19 January 2021.
- Ecclesiastical Insurance: Insurance Testing/Review Requirements
Post last updated, 31 January at 07:45.
These updates are published at the start of each week; they are not reissued, but new items are added throughout the week as they become available, providing a “rolling update” of the latest developments during the current week. They are also added to COVID-19 Coronavirus: legislation and guidance which is the main source of information; those items in the weekly updates yet to be added are marked “§“. The updates for the earlier weeks are here.
For Church of England documents, the information on the document itself – date and version number – provides the best indication of the date on which it was issued