This is the latest rolling weekly update covering the legislation and guidance on coronavirus COVID-19 during the week commencing 4 April 2021. See the note below on the on-going update of COVID-19 Coronavirus: legislation and guidance*.
Sunday 4 April to Saturday 10 April 2021
Following the death of His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, on 9 April, there will be an eight-day period of mourning until the funeral at St George’s Windsor on Saturday 17 April. As a consequence of the coronavirus pandemic, and in light of current Government advice and social distancing guidelines, modified Funeral and ceremonial arrangements are in place: the Cabinet Office has produced Guidance for the Period of National Mourning; the Church of England has issued Guidance for parish churches; and the Central Council of Church Bellringers has posted advice on the ringing of bells over this period.
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Steps and, SI 2021/455. These Regulations amend the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Steps) (England) Regulations 2021 (“Steps Regulations”), to move England from the Step 1 area to the Step 2 area, so that the restrictions set out in Schedule 2 to the Steps Regulations apply in England with effect from 12th April 2021, the date on which these Regulations come into force.
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, International Travel) (Wales) (Amendment) (No. 5) Regulations 2021, SI 2021/454 (W.144). Changes to International Travel Regulations.
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2021, SR 2021/93. These Regulations revoke and replace the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No.2) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020, with savings.
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2021, SR 2021/96. These Regulations amend the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020 in order to require members of the public to wear face coverings whilst inside a church or other premises where beliefs are practiced.
- (COVID-19) Coronavirus restrictions: what you can and cannot do, Updated to include how coronavirus restrictions will change from April 12th. Cabinet Office, (update, 5 April 2021).
- PM statement at coronavirus press conference: 5 April 2021, (5 April 2021).
- COVID-19 Response – Spring 2021: roadmap reviews, Cabinet Office, (5 April 2021).
- Roadmap reviews: Update , HMG, (5 April 2021).
- Twice weekly rapid testing to be available to everyone in England, Everyone in England will be able to access free, regular, rapid coronavirus (COVID-19) testing from 9 April, the Government has announced, (5 April 2021).
- Further easing of Covid restrictions confirmed for 12 April. Outdoor pubs, shops, gyms and hairdressers to reopen. Cabinet Office. (5 April 2021).
Church of England‡
Roman Catholic Church EW
- Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales: Vade Mecum for Holy Week 2021. (28 February 2021). This refers to: Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments: Celebration of Holy Week 2021. Note to Bishops and Episcopal Conferences on the Celebration of Holy Week 2021, (Prot. N. 96/21.), (19 February 2021).
Royal School of Church Music
- COVID-19: Guidance for Safe Group Music-making in Church. Revision of FAQ – Further to the Westminster Government announcements on 26 March and 7 April, the guidance covering England is much more permissive for Easter and onwards into the Summer Term.
“In line with guidance concerning schools and after school activities, children’s choirs activity are permitted from April 12th whether from one school or multiple schools. Children’s Choirs are well placed to keep consistent groups following Government advice for out of school settings.”
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) – CCCBR. Update, 5 April. Detailed guidance is available in Guidance Notes section; and also indicator on remainder of the roadmap timeline.
Law and Religion UK
- Law and religion round-up – 4 April. Good Friday and COVID-19
Post last updated, 10 April 2021 at 19:24.
These updates are published at the start of each week; they are not reissued, but new items are added throughout the week as they become available, providing a “rolling update” of the latest developments during the current week. They are also added to COVID-19 Coronavirus: legislation and guidance which is the main source of information; the updates for the earlier weeks are here and those items in the weekly updates yet to be added are marked “§“.
The Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance page on the CofE web site includes a number of “documents”, FAQs, and other material. With regard to the “documents”, we use the information on the document itself – date and version number – since used since these provide the best indication of their provenance. The FAQs have no unique URL, and are grouped in a number of generic headings, which are subject to change.