This post includes a rolling update of new legislation and guidance on coronavirus COVID-19 during the week commencing 16 May 2021 *.
Sunday 16 May 20201 to Saturday 22 May 2021
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (No. 5) (Wales) (Amendment) (No. 10) Regulations 2021, WSI 2021/583 (W. 160) Whole of Wales moves from Alert Level 3 to Alert Level 2, meaning that the restrictions and requirements in Schedule 2 to the principal Regulations take effect; and other related provisions
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions and Requirements) (Local Levels) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 23) Regulations 2021, SSI 2021/209
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions and Requirements) (Local Levels) (Scotland) Amendment (No. 24) Regulations 2021, SSI 2021/211.
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2021 (Amendment No. 4) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2021, SR 130. Relaxation of provisions on outdoor gatherings.
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus, International Travel) (Amendment No. 3) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2021, SR 2021/132.
- The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings) (Amendment No. 2) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2021, SR2021/131
Making a support bubble with another household How you can safely expand the group of people you have close contact with during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, DHSC, (17 May 2021)
Church of England‡
- COVID-19 Advice for clergy conducting weddings, V6.2, Updates from version 6.1: in line with updated Government guidance on social contact from the 17th May; updated the special provisions for the service (4) relating to the entrance of the bride, (19 May 2020).
- COVID-19 Advice on the Conduct of Public Worship, V.4, Update on version 3.3: on the 18 May the Government introduced new guidance on Performing Arts. The information on singing has been updated to include this. (19 May 2020)
Is singing permitted? in the Prayer and worship section [Scroll down]
- Updated Monday May 17, 16:36
“The changes in guidance which come into effect today represent a relatively modest step along the road of easing restrictions affecting places of worship in common with many other public places”. With regard to singing, this revised guidance for the “eased restrictions” of Step 3 is more restrictive than that for Step 2.
- COVID-19 Advice for clergy conducting weddings, V6.1
- COVID-19 Advice for Clergy Conducting Baptisms, V4.7
- COVID-19 Advice for Conducting Funerals, V5.8
- COVID-19 Advice on Individual Prayer by Members of the public in Church Buildings, V6.1
- COVID-19 Permitted Activities from 17th May 2021 under ‘Step 3’, V.1
- COVID-19 Advice on the Conduct of Public Worship, V3.3
Churches Together in Wales
- Regulations for places of worship in Wales from May 17 2021 (Level 2 restrictions). See also L&RUK post from the Revd Gethin Rhys, infra.
Roman Catholic EW
- CATHOLIC BISHOPS’ CONFERENCE OF ENGLAND AND WALES: Covid-19 Route Map: Step 3 Guidance. (15 May 2021).
- Covid-19 resources for churches Last updated: Wednesday, 19 May 2021.
- 14 May 2021 There has been no change to guidance this week. England is still on course to enter Stage 3 on 17 May when the Rule of Six applies indoors.
Law and Religion UK
- Law and religion round-up – 16 May 2021 No COVID-19 news apart from And finally…II on inconsistencies in the present restrictions on weddings.
- COVID-19: Step 3 guidance – Roman Catholic Church EW, (16 May 2021).
- COVID-19: Step 3 guidance – Church of England, (17 May 2021)
- COVID-19 Update: Cytûn – Churches together in Wales, (18 May 2021).
- COVID-19: unexpected choral clampdown, (20 May 2021).
Post last updated, 26 May 2021 at 09:17.
These updates are published at the start of each week; they are not reissued, but new items are added throughout the week as they become available, providing a “rolling update” of the latest developments during the current week. They are also added to COVID-19 Coronavirus: legislation and guidance which is the main source of information, and listed with the newest items last (unlike the CofE documents, infra); items in the weekly updates yet to be added are marked “§“. The updates for the earlier weeks are here.
Church of England documents are listed under their full title and issue number, in the same order as they appear on the Church’s web site.