This post includes a rolling update of new legislation and guidance on coronavirus COVID-19 during September 2021*.
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, International Travel and Operator Liability) (England) (Amendment) (No. 9) Regulations 2021, SI 2021/966 . Amendments to the International Travel Regulations to extend the definition of “relevant international event” to include both the United Nations Climate Change Conference 2021 (known as “COP26”) and the World Leaders summit organised by the government in connection with the COP26. The events are being hosted in Glasgow, but attendees and facilitators may travel via England.§
The Coronavirus Act 2020 (Suspension: Transportation, Storage and Disposal of Dead Bodies etc) (Wales) Regulations 2021, WSI 2021/1042 (W. 244). Regulation 2 provides for the suspension of the operation of section 58 and Schedule 28 to the 2020 Act (powers in relation to transportation, storage and disposal of dead bodies etc). The suspension of the operation of these provisions means that they no longer have effect in Wales but are capable of being revived at a later date under section 88(3) of the 2020 Act.§
The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Requirements) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2021, SR 2021/299. Amendments to the Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Requirements) (Scotland) Regulations 2021 (“the principal Regulations”) concerning face coverings.§
The Health Protection (Coronavirus, International Travel) (2021 Consolidation) (Amendment No. 6) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2021, SR 2021/241. Regulation 3 makes amendments to regulation 10 of the principal Regulations to clarify that the requirement to self-isolate does not apply to a fully vaccinated amber list arrival as described in regulation 3A of the principal Regulations.§
- Press Release: Prime Minister to set out next steps in Covid response, (12 September). Reviewed in the weekly round-up, infra.§
- H M Government, COVID-19 Response: Autumn and Winter Plan 2021, 14 September 2021. Including: “Plan A”, “Plan B”, Contingency Planning, Legislation Changes. Summarized in our post COVID-19: next steps for England. §
Isle of Man Government
- Learning to live in a world with COVID-19: Approach to Managing Covid-19, (September 2021). §
- Stockman et al: Measurements and Simulations of Aerosol Released while Singing and Playing Wind Instruments. ACS Environ. Au 2021.§
- 27th August 2021: A specific section of the website has been created below which gathers together information on ventilation and CO2 monitoring, including details of what CO2 monitors are recommended and some external research.§
Church of England‡
- Opening and managing church buildings in step 4 of the Roadmap out of Lockdown, v.2. Update on version 1.0: The introduction and situation brief have been updated to reflect the developing situation since the introduction of Step 4 of the Governments roadmap. (1 September 2021)§
- Update 7 September, 12:19. Older and out-of-date documents which had been retained for reference during the first weeks of Stage 4 have now been removed from page (Scroll down). The documents which remain are:
- Opening and managing church buildings in step 4 of the Roadmap out of Lockdown v.2, 1st September 2021
- COVID-19 NHS Test & Trace Data, v5, 16th July 2021.
- COVID-19 Livestreaming Worship, v1.1, 8th December 2020.
Older and out-of-date documents which had been retained for reference during the first weeks of Stage 4 have now been removed from page.
- COVID 19: Risk Assessment Template for Opening Church Buildings to the Public, v10. 16 July 2021.
- COVID 19: Test and Trace consent form template
- Test and Trace online privacy notice template
- Test and Trace privacy notice template
- Mental Health Support Charities. [Inaccessible via link on page]
The below Marking our communities resources have been prepared by The Liturgical Commission:
- Marking our Communities 2: Prayers of lament, thanksgiving and restoration, v1. 3 June 2020.
- Marking our Communities 1: Opening the Doors: re-entering our church building, V1, 3 June 2020. [Inaccessible via link on page]
- Marking our Communities 3: When we meet again: remembering and memorials, v1, 3 June.
- Update, 14 September 2021. Publication of Government’s Autumn and Winter plan:
We welcome the publication of the Government’s Autumn and Winter plan, recognising the very positive effects of the vaccination campaign and also the ongoing risks posed by Covid-19. We note the Government’s commitment that communal worship, weddings, funerals and other commemorative events would not become subject to vaccination certification, even under ‘Plan B’. We will continue to monitor the situation as we move towards Christmas.
Church in Wales
3 September 2021: Following the recent announcement by the Welsh Government concerning face masks at weddings, the guidance has been amended accordingly:§
It is recommended that this advice is read alongside the guidance Covid 19 Churches Risk Assessment Guidance Alert Level 0 which is available on the Church in Wales website.
Roman Catholic Church
- Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales: Covid-19 Route Map: Step 4 Guidance, (15 July 2021 – one we missed)§
Law and Religion UK
- Law and religion round-up – 29th August. COVID-19 in Scotland.§
- Law and religion round-up – 5th September. COVID-19 in Scotland (further update); COVID-19 legislation and guidance (Church of England). §
- Law and religion round-up – 12th September. COVID-19: Churches’ guidance for “Step 4”; COVID-19: call for papers; COVID-19: the future.§
- COVID-19: next steps for England. Condensed version of COVID-19 Response: Autumn and Winter Plan. 14 September 2021.§
Post last updated, 15 September at 08:37.
From 1 September, these updates will be published at the start of each month; they are not reissued, but new items are added throughout the week as they become available, providing a “rolling update” of the latest developments during the current week. They are also added to COVID-19 Coronavirus: legislation and guidance which is the main source of information, and listed with the newest items last (unlike the CofE documents, infra); items in these updates yet to be added are marked “§“. The earlier updates are here.
Church of England documents are listed under their full title and issue number, in the same order as they appear on the Church’s web site.