The death of HM Queen Elizabeth II
For us, as for our readers, the week has been totally overshadowed by the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. We join with faith and secular bodies worldwide in expressing thanks for her life of service and witness. May she rest in peace.
The Cabinet Office published Guidance for the public and businesses on the period of National Mourning and the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities has issued National Mourning period: guidance for faith and belief groups and places of worship. Various denominations published prayers and liturgical resources to commemorate Her Majesty:
- Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England & Wales: Prayers for the Repose of the Soul of HM Queen Elizabeth II.
- Church in Wales: Service in commemoration of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- Church of England: Resources and liturgy on the death of HM The Queen.
- Church of Scotland: Prayers and worship material for use following the death of the Queen.
- Methodist Church: A prayer vigil on the death of The Sovereign.
Oath of allegiance on the demise of the Crown
We have been asked why MPs and Peers are swearing oaths to the new Monarch and this is covered in a separate post, here. Continue reading